Greetings for the new year!
Let’s begin on a sweet note.
Here is a recipe for a sweet dish that is a favourite with everyone at home. This payasa or kheer is moderately sweet and can be made on festive occasions. It is a very simple recipe that you can get right with very little effort. It can be served hot or cold and tastes great either way.
To make this for 4 people, you’ll need the following:
¾ cup Rice
¼ cup Bengal Gram
¼ cup Jaggery, grated (can be increased as per taste)
½ cup Milk
2 tbsp Ghee
¼ cup Raisins and Cashews
½ cup Coconut, grated
- Wash the rice and the Bengal gram. Cook this with three cups of water in a pressure cooker (4 whistles).
- Once done, transfer into a thick bottomed vessel. Add ½ cup of water (should be watery) and let the mixture come to a boil. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt the jaggery by heating it in ¼ cup water. Once done, filter it to remove any impurities.
- Let the rice and Bengal gram mixture boil for a few minutes (3-4 minutes). To this, add the melted jaggery. Reduce the flame and let the mixture simmer and keep stirring from time to time.
- Next, add the ground coconut paste and stir well. Let the mixture simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Now add milk, mix well and let the mixture simmer for another few minutes.
- Finally, fry the raisins and cashews in ghee. Add this to the rice mixture. Stir well and turn off the flame.
Serve the payasa hot or cold as desired.