In Coorg, as in many other parts of India, Jackfruit is eaten in both raw and ripe forms. Even its seeds are used to make a delicious chutney. In an earlier post, I had shared a recipe using ripe Jackfruit. Here is a recipe that uses tender raw Jackfruit. This recipe is a delicacy at every Coorg table and is best served for breakfast or dinner with Akki Votis or Rice Rotis.
If you are in India, raw tender Jackfruit will be a common sight as most Jackfruit trees will be laden with fruits as shown above. It will be available in plenty at the local vegetable store. Tender raw Jackfruit is also available frozen or in tins at most stores abroad and it is equally good. Just remember to drain out the water and rinse the pieces in fresh water before using them.
Let’s see how to make this recipe.
To make Raw Jackfruit fry for 4 people, you’ll need:
1 small raw, tender Jackfruit
1/2 cup brown Chickpeas, soaked for 4-5 hours and cooked till tender
½ tsp Mustard seeds
1 medium sized Onion, finely chopped
A few curry leaves
6-8 cloves of Garlic, sliced
2 Green chillies, slit
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
½ tsp Coriander powder
½ tsp Chilli powder
½ tsp Jeera powder
½ tsp Garam Masala (Optional)
3 tbsps grated coconut
2 tsps Lime juice
Salt to taste
3 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Cut the Jackfruit in half, horizontally and then vertically as shown. If you find the Jackfruit to be too sticky, rub a little cooking oil on your hands. Remove the central hard part. Peel the hard outer layer and cut into small cubes as shown in the picture. Put the cut pieces into water for 5 minutes. Drain out the water and mix the cut Jackfruit pieces with turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, jeera powder and salt. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Boil the Jackfruit pieces in a little water (1/2 cup) in a pressure pan (3 whistles). When cool, gently mash the pieces so that the flesh separates.
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat the oil. When hot, add the mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Add the Curry leaves and the Garlic. Add the slit green chillies. Next, add the chopped onions and fry till it turns transparent.
- Add the cooked Jackfruit pieces and the cooked Chickpeas. Mix well. Cook on a slow flame till all the moisture evaporates. Now add the grated coconut and the garam masala and cook for another two minutes. Turn off the heat when done.
- Finally, mix in the lime juice.
Jackfruit Fry is ready to savor.