Mango, the King of Fruits, is a fruit which is tasty, healthy and nutritious. It is a rich source of Vit. A, Beta Carotene and Potassium. Mangoes find their way into many dishes in both their raw and ripe forms. When they are raw, Mangoes are used to make pickles. They are also sun-dried and powdered to form a souring agent called Amchoor. Come April and the King of Fruits ripens. In the ripe form, they end up being used in soups, salads, curries and desserts.
In this post, I am sharing a raita made from ripe Mangoes. This is a great combination of sweet Mango, spices like green chilli, mustard, garlic, ginger, and curd. This is traditionally served with Coorg Vegetable or Mutton Pulav and Coorg Nei Kool or Ghee Rice. It can also be enjoyed with plain hot rice.
Mange Pajji is yet another favorite recipe from our kitchen. It is very easy to make and tastes delicious. One particular year, during summer, I remember having made it almost every single day! Such is the demand for Mange Pajji at our home! I hope you will like it too.
Here’s how to make Mango Raita or Mange Pajji from Coorg.
1 Mango (well ripened and sweet)
1 Green Chilli, chopped (if you want it spicy, you could use more)
1 Clove of Garlic, crushed
1/4” piece of Ginger, crushed
¼ tsp of Mustard seeds, crushed
¼ cup Coconut, grated
½ cup fresh Curd (beaten)
Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
1 tsp Oil
¼ tsp Mustard seeds
1 Red chilli, broken into a few pieces
6-8 Curry leaves
- Peel the Mango and remove the pulp. If you wish to have the seed in the raita, as we do, leave a little pulp around the seed.
- Grind the Mango pulp, green chilli, coconut, garlic, ginger, salt and mustard seeds to a fine paste. Pour this out into a mixing bowl.
- Add the beaten curd to the above paste. Mix well till it is nicely blended. Add the Mango seed to it. If this mixture is too thick, you could add ¼ cup of water.
- Heat oil. When hot, add the mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Add the broken red chilli and curry leaves and stir for a few seconds and then turn off the heat. Pour this over the raita and stir well.
- Pour it out into a serving dish.
Mango Raita is ready!