Here’s a delicious curry from Coorg. This curry is made using more than one vegetable like beans, potatoes and carrots. It has a coconut based gravy infused with spices and is a great accompaniment for akki vottis, chapatis and rice.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this curry.
French Beans, a handful
Small Potatoes, 2
Toor Dal, 3 tbsps.
½ cup grated Coconut and 1/2 tsp. Cumin seeds ground to a fine paste
½ tsp. Cumin powder
1 tbsp. Coriander powder
1/2 tsp. red chilly powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp. Tamarind juice
1 small Tomato, chopped fine
2 cups water
For the seasoning:
1 tbsp. oil
¼ tsp. Mustard seeds
10-12 Curry leaves
4-5 cloves of Garlic, crushed
- Wash, peel and cut the vegetables as shown in the picture.
- Wash the Toor dal and let it soak in water for 5 minutes. Add a dash of turmeric powder and a few drops of cooking oil and cook the Toor dal till done.
- To the cooked dal, add the vegetables, the spice powders and the chopped tomatoes and cook till the vegetables are cooked. Ensure that the vegetables are firm and not mushy.
- Next, add the coconut paste, tamarind juice and salt. Mix well and boil for 1-2 minutes.
- In a pan or degchi, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds, the curry leaves and the garlic and fry till it turns golden. Add this to the curry and mix well.
Our mixed vegetable curry or Kootu curry is ready!
For this curry, you can use beans, carrots, potatoes, peas and other similar vegetables.