Last month all of us celebrated the harvest festival in Coorg known as Puthari or Huthari. On this occasion we make a sweet dish out of ripe bananas which is called Thambuttu. This dish is very easy to make and is very nutritious since it contains ripe bananas, roasted sesame seeds, grated coconut and is served with clarified butter or ghee.
Here’s how to make it.
3 ripe bananas
2 tbsp. Thambuttu powder
A pinch of salt
2 tbsp. grated coconut
1 tsp. roasted sesame seeds (white)
1 tsp. melted ghee or clarified butter
- Mash the bananas.
- Mix the thambuttu powder into it a little at a time till the mixture holds its shape. Add more thambuttu powder, if needed.
- Transfer this mixture into a serving bowl. Make a depression at the centre. Sprinkle the grated coconut and the roasted sesame seeds. Pour the melted ghee into the depression.
The Thambuttu is now ready to savor!
To make the Thambuttu Powder, you’ll need
1 cup par boiled rice, washed and dried
¼ tsp. fenugreek seeds
Seeds of two cardamoms
- Roast the rice on a slow flame till it turns brown.
- Roast the fenugreek seeds gently.
- Similarly roast the cardamom seeds.
- When cool, powder all the ingredients to obtain the Thambuttu powder.
This can be preserved in an air tight container for several months.